Our Muse

In the early 90s, a home-based jute enterprise kindled in the arms of artist Sharmila Sen.
Its backbone, the tribal women of Bengal inculcated needlework traditions and skills of their regions into the products. Their legacies in embroidered jute and wool, took them to local exhibitions and brought them an education for their children, and an answer to some of their basic monetary problems.
Sharmila says, 'I ran my venture for 24 years but had to give it up for various reasons. It was like a child that I could no longer take care of, but I'm so grateful that my child has found a loving and nurturing home in Ohrna. I pray Ohrna grows to even greater heights'.
What was born then, invigorates Ohrna’s bloodline today. It is this empowerment of rural women we are trying to take forward, while also promoting sustainable, organic materials like jute. Sharmila adds, 'there’s no language to describe how much Ohrna means to me. It makes me so happy'.
Feeling inspired? Learn more about what motivates us at Ohrna


Comments

Popular Posts